Sixt SE / Key word(s): Half Year Results
21.08.2013 / 07:35
Revenue growth for both business units of Sixt in first six months of 2013
– Solid business performance in line with expectations
– Consolidated operating revenue up by 2.7%
– Growth of rental and leasing revenue in first six months
– Continued dynamic development outside of Germany
– Group earnings before taxes (EBT) after six months 8.8%
– Ongoing satisfactory results expected for full year 2013
Pullach, 21 August 2013 – Sixt Group closed out a good first half year 2013 with business performance in line with company expectations. The international mobility service provider’s two business units, Vehicle Rental and Leasing, recorded revenue growth. Consolidated operating revenue for the first half year climbed 2.7% to EUR 704.3 million. Group earnings were on a high level, though slightly below the previous year, as had been forecast, because of a weak economic environment in Europe and the start-up costs for strategic growth initiatives. The Managing Board confirms its previous projections for the full year 2013.
Erich Sixt, Chairman of the Managing Board of Sixt SE: ‘After the first half of the year Sixt is fully on track. We have managed to more than compensate for a drop in domestic demand through numerous measures for expansion abroad. As far as profitability is concerned, Sixt remains industry leader with a pre-tax return on revenue of more than 8%. We are staying the course for the second half of the year and will utilize growth opportunities with all due caution. Despite the recession in Europe, we expect once again to see a satisfactory result for this year.’
Group performance in the first half of 2013
– Rental revenue rose 2.9% year-on-year to EUR 465.9 million (H1 2012: EUR 452.7 million). This growth was driven by a 16.6% increase in foreign revenue. In Germany, rental revenue dropped by 4.2% due to the general economic downturn.
– Due to a higher portfolio of lease contracts, leasing revenue rose 3.6% to EUR 195.0 million (H1 2012: EUR 188.3 million).
– Consolidated operating revenue (excluding revenue from the sale of used leasing vehicles) reached EUR 704.3 million, equivalent to 2.7% more than the previous year’s figure of EUR 686.0 million. The international share of operating revenue climbed true to strategy from 28.7% recorded during the first half of last year to 32.0% this year.
– Total consolidated revenue came to EUR 781.8 million, some 0.6% more than the figure recorded over the same period last year (EUR 777.1 million).
– Consolidated earnings before taxes (EBT), the Sixt Group’s key earnings indicator, came to EUR 57.8 million, some 8.8% less than the year before (EUR 63.4 million). Earnings were affected by a weak European market and the ongoing start-up costs for strategic growth initiatives (e.g. building up US operations, Premium Carsharing DriveNow). Both business units, Vehicle Rental and Leasing, contributed with positive earnings to the healthy half-year result.
– Return on revenue – expressed in relation to EBT – remained on a high level at 8.2% (H1 2012: 9.2%).
– After taxes Sixt recorded a profit of EUR 40.5 million for the first half of 2013 (H1 2012: EUR 43.8 million; -7.6%).
Group developments in the second quarter of 2013
– Quarter-on-quarter, rental revenues rose by 7.2% to EUR 254.1 million (Q2 2012: EUR 237.0 million).
– Second quarter leasing revenue grew by 4.3% to EUR 99.1 million (Q2 2012: EUR 95.0 million).
– Operative consolidated revenue climbed 5.7% in the second quarter and amounted to EUR 375.3 million (Q2 2012: EUR 355.2 million).
– Consolidated revenue rose 4.2% to EUR 412.7 million (Q2 2012: EUR 396.3 million).
– The Group reports EBT of EUR 35.5 million for the second quarter, which was merely EUR 1.9 million short of the previous year’s second quarter result (Q2 2012: EUR 37.4 million).
Cautious fleet policy
Equity basis remains comfortable
Conversion to European Corporation (SE) completed
Outlook for full-year 2013
Subject to the general economic outlook in Europe not worsening further than projected, Sixt expects consolidated EBT for 2013 to be slightly lower than last year but expects once again to see a good earnings position in the prevailing market conditions.
Developments in the operating business units
The expansion in the USA continued in the first half of 2013, so that Sixt meanwhile has 15 of its own stations in the world’s biggest vehicle rental market. Parallel to this, the company started to set-up a network of efficient franchisees.
The premium carsharing joint venture DriveNow continues its expansion drive with the number of registered users now reaching around 140,000. The premium carsharing service offers around 1,700 top-quality BMW and MINI cars in the Metropolitan cities of Berlin, Munich, Cologne, and Düsseldorf. Since June the fleets stationed in Berlin and Munich have included more than 50 fully electric BMW ActiveE models.
All in all, the Vehicle Rental Business Unit had an average of 72,500 vehicles in operation during the first half of the year (excluding franchisees), which was around 5.6% fewer than the annual average for 2012.
The Vehicle Rental Business Unit generated rental revenue of EUR 465.9 million during the first six months of 2013 (+2.9%). In Germany, where Sixt has been unrivalled market leader for many years, rental revenue decreased by 4.2% because of the general economic climate, while the many expansion activities abroad meant dynamic growth for foreign operations, up by 16.6%. Revenue for the Business Unit rose 2.3% during the first half of 2013 to a total of EUR 509.3 million (H1 2012: EUR 497.7 million).
EBT for the first half year came to EUR 50.9 million, only EUR 3.0 million below last year’s total of EUR 53.9 million.
In an environment that continues to be characterized by stiff competition, the Business Unit’s contract portfolio at home and abroad (excluding franchisees) as per the middle of 2013 stood at 63,900 contracts, around 3% higher than the level at the end of 2012 (62,200).
Leasing revenue rose 3.6% during the first half of 2013 to EUR 195.0 million (H1 2012: EUR 188.3 million). The Business Unit’s total revenue (including the revenues from the sale of used leasing vehicles) amounted to EUR 268.7 million (H1 2012: EUR 275.0 million; -2.3%).
For the first six months the Business Unit reports EBT of EUR 9.1 million (H1 2012: EUR 9.6 million).
Note to editors:
End of Corporate News
21.08.2013 Dissemination of a Corporate News, transmitted by DGAP – a company of EQS Group AG.
DGAP’s Distribution Services include Regulatory Announcements, Financial/Corporate News and Press Releases.
|Phone:||+49 (0)89 74444-5104|
|Fax:||+49 (0)89 74444-85104|
|ISIN:||DE0007231326, DE0007231334 Sixt Vorzüge, DE000A1K0656 Sixt Namensaktien|
|Listed:||Regulierter Markt in Berlin, Frankfurt (Prime Standard), München; Freiverkehr in Düsseldorf, Hamburg, Hannover, Stuttgart|
|End of News||DGAP News-Service|